Malware is an abbreviated term meaning “malicious software.” This is software that is specifically designed to gain access or damage a computer without the knowledge of the owner.
Ransomware at a glance
Ransomware is a form of malware that basically takes hostage of systems, either by locking the user out completely, or locking files so they can’t be accessed.
The most common action of hackers is to encrypt files and force users to pay a ransom to get the decryption key.
Ransomware is a virus delivered, usually, through a link. Once the user clicks the link, the virus takes over and can spread to the rest of the corporate network.
The user is presented with a message explaining their files have been taken hostage and given instructions of how to send payment.
So what is the best way to protect your users and systems from ransomware attacks? Here are a few tips.
- Most importantly, keep your operating systems up to date and follow through with any patches for vulnerabilities. ( Exploiting software vulnerabilities is the latest, most aggressive avenue for malware delivery)
- Use multi-factor authentication, at the very least for remote access.
- Keep control of user rights and don’t allow for unchecked software installation.
- Ensure systems are running antivirus software that will detect malicious programs.
- Schedule automatic system backups. So if you are faced with a malware attack, you can at least replicate some of the files and ease some of the fallout.
- Communicate with employees and train them to recognize suspicious email.
Discover how strong security and user convenience can coexist.
SonicWall doesn’t just detect breaches, it prevents them with SonicWall next-generation firewalls and award-winning network security solutions.
Stop ransomware, encrypted threats and phishing attacks, over not only wired but also wireless and mobile networks.
SonicWall TZ Series product features:
- Wireless network security
- High-performance security engine
- Advanced IPSec and SSL VPN
- Streamlined GUI and advanced management
- Intrusion prevention
- Gateway anti-virus and anti-spyware
- SonicWall Mobile connect app.
- SoicWall Capture ATP solution (available in SonicOS 6.2.6x and above)
Talk to ACS today about SONICWALL
Call Ronan, Wil, Paul or Greg on 01-8464200 for more information.
E-mail us at: email@example.com